This is how I managed to destroy an Intellibox (IB) and two boosters at once. Well OK, it is still somewhat of a mystery, but here is the story...
I have 4 power districts on my layout, powered by my Intellibox and three boosters.
Everything shares a common ground, including other small devices around the layout that run on 16VAC or 5VDC or 12VDC. I run using mixed Motorola and DCC protocols.
One of those devices is a turntable which takes 16VAC and rectifies that to drive the motor using DC. There are six contacts that go to the turntable:
- Track center rail
- Track running rail #1
- Track running rail #2
- Motor positive
- Motor negative
I managed to downgrade the firmware of the IB to 1.203 - which is what my original IB was running.
It behaves the same. So it is not the firmware version.
I have some second hand Power 3 boosters on their way from Germany. I hope they resolve the problem.